Garbage Collection Pauses & Non-interruptable System Calls

Paul Hohensee Paul.Hohensee at Sun.COM
Wed Apr 15 17:16:40 UTC 2009

A good page to read.  Take a look at the Thread Management section too, esp.
VM Operations and Safepoints.

On x86/x64/sparc the polling scheme described there (thread asking
'should I block
for a safepoint') works by issuing a read from a normally readable page
called the 'polling
page'.  When the vm thread calls a safepoint, it sets the polling page
protection to
no access, which causes a thread issuing the read (we call the read a
'safepoint poll') to
fault, trap and block.  This scheme would work on Itanium as well,
though one could
also use a branch on one of the condition code bits instead of a load.

Paul