frequent CMS collections/ CPU spike/ Hotspot JRE1.4.2_17/

Jon Masamitsu Jon.Masamitsu at Sun.COM
Tue Apr 21 02:46:08 UTC 2009

With a total heap of 768m and a young gen pf 500m you
might not have enough room in the tenured (old) gen.
That is, the amount of free space left in the tenured gen
may be so small that CMS thinks it need to start
a collection immediately. Try a larger total heap
or a smaller yount gen. I see that you're turning on

-XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=0 -XX:SurvivorRatio=128

so everything that survives a young gen is being
promoted to the tenured gen. Those values reduce
the CMS pause times but also fill up the tenured
generation faster. If you don't have a specific reason
to use those values, 15 for the tenuring threshold and
6 or 8 for the survivor ratio may serve you better.