Tracking CMS "stop the world" times from JMX or in-vm

Bob Cotton bcotton at rallydev.com
Fri Feb 20 17:19:44 UTC 2009

5u17 Linux

We are working out the details of moving to the CMS GC (and stopping RMI
from doing a full gc)

In the past we have used the GC mbean to monitor the amount of time spent
doing full GCs. Now, not so much.

Is is possible to monitor the total "stop the world" time from jmx, or
internally from the VM? I'm aware of the options
XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime -XX:+PrintGCApplicationConcurrentTime to
log that info, but it would be great to have that info available elsewhere.

Thanks
 -Bob