hotspot-gc-dev Digest, Vol 24, Issue 6

Tony Printezis Antonios.Printezis at sun.com
Tue Jun 9 15:15:18 UTC 2009

Dan,

Dan Hicks wrote:
> Well, my experience is quite different, but I suppose it may have to
> do with what you consider "overhead".  I've seen GC consume half the
> CPU cycles (and more), but if you have enough CPU then I guess that's
> OK.  A big unknown is the cost of the read and write barriers, in
> terms of both cycles spent and loss of optimization.
Well, our GCs (minus G1) only have a simple card table write barrier and
no read barrier. The card table barrier doesn't cost you much most of
the time (maybe a few single digit percent) and it allows much more
efficient generational GC, which is a win overall.

Tony

--
| Tony Printezis, Staff Engineer   | Sun Microsystems Inc.          |
|                                  | MS UBUR02-311                  |