review request (S) - 6849716 BitMap performance regression

John Coomes John.Coomes at sun.com
Thu Jun 11 18:16:59 UTC 2009

Andrey Petrusenko (Andrey.Petrusenko at Sun.COM) wrote:
> You could do that with PRODUCT_RETURN, but I like the way Jonh fixed it
> - explicitly showing that the verification is only in debug.
>
> P.S.: looks good to me.

Thanks.

Ramki also mentioned PRODUCT_RETURN.  That could work, but it makes
the verification code visible in optimized and profiled builds, which
could lead to a similar problem of calls to empty debug methods in
those builds.  So here's an alternative

	http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jcoomes/6849716-not-debug-return/

This adds a NOT_DEBUG_RETURN macro that returns in builds without
asserts, and I use that for the BitMap verify routines.  Have to say I
don't care too much for the name NOT_DEBUG_RETURN; only thing going
for it is consistency with the NOT_DEBUG macro.  Other possiblities:

NO_ASSERT_RETURN
RETURN_IF_NOT_DEBUG

Suggestions welcome.

-John