Young generation configuration

Paul Hohensee Paul.Hohensee at Sun.COM
Fri Sep 11 17:22:33 UTC 2009

Another alternative mentioned in Tony and Charlie's J1 slides is the
parallel
collector.  If, as Tony says, you can make the young gen large enough to
avoid
promotion, and you really do have a steady state old gen, then which old gen
collector you use wouldn't matter much to pause times, given that young
gen pause times seem to be your immediate problem.

It may be that you just need more hardware threads to collect such a big
young
gen too.  You might vary the number of gc threads to see how that affects
collection times.  If there's significant differences, then you need more
hardware threads, i.e., a bigger machine.

You might also try using compressed pointers via -XX:+UseCompressedOops.
That should cut down the total survivor size significantly, perhaps enough
to that your current hardware threads can collect significantly faster.
Heap size
will be limited to < 32gb, but you're app will probably fit.  A more
efficient
version of compressed pointers will be available in 6u18, btw.

I notice that none of your logs shows more than age 7 stats even though the
tenuring threshold is 15.  It'd be nice to see if anything dies before then.

Paul