[Fwd: Request for reviews (M): 6973963: SEGV in ciBlock::start_bci() with EA]

David Holmes David.Holmes at oracle.com
Tue Aug 3 12:13:37 UTC 2010

Vladimir Kozlov said the following on 08/03/10 19:33:
> On 8/2/10 11:23 PM, David Holmes wrote:
>> src/share/vm/asm/codeBuffer.cpp
>>
>> + void CodeBuffer::operator delete(void* p) {
>> + ResourceObj::operator delete(p);
>> #ifdef ASSERT
>> ! Copy::fill_to_bytes(p, sizeof(CodeBuffer), badResourceValue);
>> #endif
>> }
>>
>> You moved the copy from the destructor to operator delete, but now you
>> access p after you have deleted it.
>
> Yes, you are right. But CodeBuffer is never allocated on C heap and
> ResourceObj::delete(p)
> should be called only for allocation on C_HEAP. So this code should
> never be executed,

I'm confused. CodeBuffer is a StackObj, not a ResourceObj, so why would
you call ResourceObj::delete in the first place ??

> I will replace it with ShouldNotCallThis() in CodeBuffer::delete(void* p).
> Which leaves the original problem: I need to find how to zap CodeBuffer
> after ResourceObj destructor
> which is called after CodeBuffer destructor.

Again I'm missing something - what is the connection between CodeBuffer
and ResourceObj ?

> Note: the problem here is not CodeBuffer but its field: OopRecorder
> _default_oop_recorder;

Explain that to me off-list if you like, I'm not familiar with this part
of the code.

>> src/share/vm/memory/allocation.hpp
>>
>> ! ~ResourceObj();
>>
>> You've added a destructor, but subclasses define their own destructors
>> - so doesn't this need to be virtual?
>
> Constructor and destructor are special methods. Super class's default
> destructor are always called from
> subclass's destructor. The only case when you need to declare it as
> virtual if subclass object is assigned to
> local/field of super class type and compiler does not know what the
> original subclass was.
>
> ResourceObj *f = new OopRecorder();
> delete f;
>
> We don't use such constructions.

Ok. Just wanted to check. In another codebase we got bitten by a cleanup
method in the superclass that did "delete this;" which did not invoke
the destructor for the dynamic type of 'this' because the destructor was
not virtual.

Cheers,
David