Using CMS, any chance of forewarning a serial full GC is imminent?

Jon Masamitsu Jon.Masamitsu at Sun.COM
Sat Mar 20 03:43:08 UTC 2010

System.gc() will cause CMS to do a full collection.  Does that
help?  As long as you have not turned off explicit GC's nor
set flags so that CMS does System.gc() concurrently, you can
compact the tenured (CMS) gen that way.