Avoid collecting young gen while doing the full GC

Y. Srinivas Ramakrishna Y.S.Ramakrishna at Sun.COM
Wed Mar 24 01:06:46 UTC 2010

Good point. You'd think that the current compacting collectors would
do this (either in the pointer update phase or as you suggest the short-cut
of conditionally dirtying the entire old and perm gens) if the compacted
data did not all fit in the old gen and some of it overflowed into
young. I haven't looked at the code in a while, and I wonder which
(if either, yikes!) is actually done. I'll take a look when i get
some free time unless someone else gets to it first ;-)

-- ramki