Free ratio based heap shrinking in the parallel collector

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Thu May 13 15:52:58 UTC 2010

Hiroshi,

Looks fine.  I only looked at the files where you indicated a change in your
mail below.  If there is more for me to look at, please let me know
which files.
I'll get another one of the GC guys here to also review
the changes.

I've create a CR for this.

6952079: With UseParallelScavenge use MinHeapFreeRation/MaxHeapFreeRatio
if UseAdaptiveSivePolicy is off.

What testing have you done?  I would expect that UseParallelGC with
UseAdaptiveSizePolicy turned off to grow and shrink the generations
in a way similar to UseSerialGC.  Can you check that is the case?
I think if you set SurvivorRatio explicitly the survivor spaces will
be close.  You might have to set InitialSurvivorRatio.   If you
set InitialTenuringThreshold and MaxTenuringThreshold  to the
same value, I would expect the promotion rate to be close.
Promotion rates don't have to be the same but it would remove
one variable from a comparison.  If there are surprises let talk about
them.  Different isn't necessarily wrong.

Jon