Growing GC Young Gen Times

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Thu May 13 16:23:18 UTC 2010

Matt,

As Ramki indicated fragmentation might be an issue.  As the fragmentation
in the old generation increases, it takes longer to find space in the
old generation
into which to promote objects from the young generation.  This is
apparently not
the problem that Wayne is having but you still might be hitting it.  If
you can
connect jconsole to the VM and force a full GC, that would tell us if it's
fragmentation.

There might be a scaling issue with the UseParNewGC.  If you can use
-XX:-UseParNewGC (turning off the parallel young
generation collection) with  -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC the pauses
will be longer but may be more stable.  That's not the solution but just
part
of the investigation.

You could try just -XX:+UseParNewGC without -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
and if you don't see the growing young generation pause, that would indicate
something specific about promotion into the CMS generation.

UseParallelGC is different from UseParNewGC in a number of ways
and if you try UseParallelGC and still see the growing young generation
pauses, I'd suspect something special about your application.

If you can run these experiments hopefully they will tell
us where to look next.

Jon