Turning off generational GC

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Tue Dec 27 22:06:53 UTC 2011

For the hotspot garbage collectors the short answer is "no" there is no
way to
turn off generational GC.  I think it's even pretty deeply entrenched in
G1 which
is only logically generational.

If CMS were not generational, in the best cause you would see pauses
on the order of 20ms.  Maybe much larger although less frequent.
More likely would be concurrent mode failures which would lead to
full GC's.