Request for review: 6941923: RFE: Handling large log files produced by long running Java Applications

Y. Srinivas Ramakrishna y.s.ramakrishna at oracle.com
Thu May 5 06:12:27 UTC 2011

Hi Yumin -- First of all my apologies for
the inordinate delay in getting to this...
This mostly looks good, but i have a few general
comments below.

I'd suggest that we don't require any specific ordering of the
parameters. Rather the spec should be completely free form
in terms of order or combination of options. That means
you should defer the consistency checks till after all
options have been parsed, and then do the consistency
checking in the method that does arg consistency checking
or in the method that initializes the gc log file
where these options are used.

Why is there what appears to me to be a somewhat arbitrary
limit of 1024 on the # files in the rotation? Why not
something much larger, like MAX_INT :-) You have a
comment at the spot where you do the bounds-check
that you want to limit the #handles. But that can't
be true because there's at most one file open at
any time: the one being written at that time.
I think the arbitrarily small limit should be
relaxed to something that is more "natural".

I also think (apropos of yr previous communication)
that the file rotation feature should be "continuous"
(in a mathematical sense) with the existing logging,
which would just be an extremal/degenerate case.
Here's a natural way of doing so:
Let the default for NumberOfGCLogFiles be 0, and
interpret that as having a single file without any
numeric suffix. (This is the current case.)
Let the default for GCLogFileSize be 0, and interpret
that, in the spirit of other such options in HotSpot,
as mapping to "infinity", i.e. there is no bound on
the size of the file.
Now even if a user chooses +GCLogFileRotation,
but does not specify anything else, he gets the
current behaviour (in other words, there is no
actual rotation that happens -- internally you can
probably snap the cached value of the boolean back
to false in that case).
If the user chooses #files = 1, then you get
the filename.0, and it grows indefinitely unless
GCLogFileSize is set to a non-zero value. If
GCLogFileSize is a positive value (i think the default
unit should be MB, not bytes: Thus
GCLogFileSize should be renamed GCLogFileSizeMB.
Given the granularity of the rotation, this seems
fine. I doubt that we'll have cases where byte-size
resolution in the spec of this will ever be useful,
so why waste key-strokes) then the single file.0
will be subject to self-rotation.

Finally, can you remind me why you firstly need
the locking in rotate_log(), and secondly
if you do need the locking why you elide it for
the case of the vm thread or a concurrent gc thread?
It would seem to me that these are the only two
types of threads that would ever need to
rotate the log and in each case they are
guaranteed to be the only ones trying too
rotate the log.

Of course there are other threads that may be writing to
the log at that time and holding the lock, yes?
Or is there something that ensures that no thread
is in the midst of writing to the stream when
the VM thread rudely yanks the descriptor from
underneath the suspended thread? Is there an
underlying assumption here about who may be in the
process of writing to that file when these things happen,
or are there locks that prevent such interference?
if so, that should be prominently documented
where the file is being closed.

Finally, a bit of a puritanical nit: Might it not
have been better to have a subclass of filestream,
called a RotatingFileStream which would have the
rotation capability, rather than slipping that capability
directly into fileStream as you've done here?
(I am a bit ambivalent here: perhaps i am being
a bit of an OO design nazi perhaps, so i'll let
others wave me off if this begins to sound too
ideological or dogmatic :-)

Rest looks fine; nice work, and high time we had this
capability. PS: we should hold the CCC spec finalization
until some of the option interpretation issues i brought
up above have been resolved to the satisfaction of
those who have an opinion in the matter.

Sorry for the length and rambling tone of this review note.
-- ramki