RFR(L): 6484965: G1: piggy-back liveness accounting phase on marking

John Cuthbertson john.cuthbertson at oracle.com
Mon Oct 3 23:09:50 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone,

Can I have a couple of volunteers review the changes for this CR? The
webrev can be found at: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~johnc/6484965/webrev.0/

concurrent counting times. These long counting times were increasing the
cycle time of concurrent marking and increasing the risk of evacuation
failure. It was suggested that, rather than having a separate phase that
walks the marking bitmap to calculate the amount of live data etc, we
could track this information in some per marking task/worker thread data
structures and update the information as objects were marked. These
changes implement that scheme. The original bitmap walking code has been
retained but turned into a verification mechanism that is enabled using
-XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOption -XX:+VerifyDuringGC.

Testing: GC test suite with a low marking threshold (10%); OpenDS,
KitchenSink, and jprt with the additional verification code enabled.

JohnC