RFR(S): 7099824: G1: we should take the pending list lock before doing the remark pause

Y. S. Ramakrishna y.s.ramakrishna at oracle.com
Thu Oct 20 17:35:06 UTC 2011

Tony, yes, i kind of appreciate your caution here, and I agree that
the performance impact of the extra locking is vanishingly small.
It just seemed a bit awkward to take a lock for no good reason.
I do not see cleanup pauses needing to manipulate the reference handler's
pending list even in the future, unless the pending list
is explicitly manipulated during such a phase, something that
we will do with some caution. Of course the question is why would
we not make the same mistake again :-) One thing we will want to do
to avoid such mistakes in the future (after all this was found
because of a clean-up that stumbled upon the deficiency during
a visual inspection of related code) is to have the GC code that
handles the pending list check that the pending list lock is
held on behalf of GC (i.e. either by a thread that requested this
GC -- it is possible, albeit perhaps a bit messy, to keep that dependency
chain -- or by the SLT thread on behalf of the VM/GC thread)
in the ref processor's method that places the processed refs on
the pending list.

Anyway, none of these changes are needed here. I am fine with the
code going in in the current state, but just some remarks for perhaps
a future clean-up/mod, may be...
-- ramki