Request for review (S): 7102044 G1: VM crashes with assert(old_end != new_end) failed: don't call this otherwise

Vladimir Kozlov vladimir.kozlov at oracle.com
Wed Oct 26 15:44:54 UTC 2011

Hi Bengt,

I thought VM should throw OOM exception in such cases (as your example) since you can't allocate such arrays in 32-bit
VM. Does the size check for OOM happened after heap resize calculation?

Is SIZE_MAX defined on all platforms?

You still have problem with short[] and char[] since 2*max_jint+header_size will overflow. Also max_array_length() puts
unneeded limitation on double[] and long[] max length in 64 but VM, it should be max_jint. I think we can do something
like next:

     const size_t max_words_per_size_t = align_size_down((SIZE_MAX/HeapWordSize - header_size(type)), MinObjAlignment);
     const size_t max_elements_per_size_t = HeapWordSize * max_words_per_size_t / type2aelembytes(type);
     if ((size_t)max_jint < max_elements_per_size_t);
       return max_jint ;
     return (int32_t)max_elements_per_size_t;

check_overflow() should use julong type for expressions instead of size_t to catch overflow:

+bool arrayOopDesc::check_overflow(BasicType type) {
+  julong length = (julong)max_array_length(type);
+  julong bytes_per_element = (julong)type2aelembytes(type);
+  julong bytes = length * bytes_per_element + (julong)header_size_in_bytes();
+  return (julong)(size_t)bytes == bytes;
+}

Rename check_overflow() to check_max_length_overflow() or something.

I don't think we need incorrect old_max_array_length() method and corresponding checks for LP64.

Initialization and execution of additional JPRT tests will increase jobs time. I think you could add InternalVMTests to
existing client and server tests:

<    $(PRODUCT_HOME)/bin/java $(JAVA_OPTIONS) -version
---
 >    $(PRODUCT_HOME)/bin/java $(JAVA_OPTIONS) -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions -XX:+ExecuteInternalVMTests -version

regards,
Vladimir