Request for review (L) - 6593758

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Thu Oct 27 18:41:47 UTC 2011

On 10/27/11 02:49, poonam.bajaj at oracle.com wrote:
> Hi Jon,
>
> I looked at some of the files and here are few comments:
>
> - concurrentMarkSweepGeneration.cpp, line 5551
>
> Here, flag UseDynamicNumberOfGCThreads can be checked to make the
> decision if we need to use 'active_workers', the way you have done it
> in collectionSetChooser.cpp at line 258

What I meant to say was that at 5551 I wanted to use whatever value of
active_workers that was calculated when calc_active_workers() was last
called.  That would likely be the value at the last young GC or at the
initial-mark.  I had at one point thought there was a dependency between
the number of GC threads used in a young collection and the number used
in the remark.  I've been told that is not the case but have not proven
that to myself and since lots of testing has already been done with this
code, I left it unchanged with a note to myself to look at it again.

Did I understand your comment?

> - concurrentMarkSweepGeneration.cpp at line 5899
>
> same as above comment

My intent was to set a number of GC workers for a
collection (minor or full or initial-mark or remark)
so didn't want to change within the collection (Reference
processing being done as part of the remark) so that's
why I'm here just using what has previously been
calculated.

> - concurrentMarkSweepGeneration.cpp, line 5552
>
> Mis-spelled in comments, "active_works" should be "active_workers"

Fixed.

Thanks.

Jon