CRR (S): 7099849: G1: include heap region information in hs_err files

Tony Printezis tony.printezis at oracle.com
Mon Oct 31 17:24:50 UTC 2011

Bengt,

Thanks for looking at this. Inline.

On 10/31/2011 5:55 AM, Bengt Rutisson wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
> Thanks for fixing this! I think it will be great to have this
> information in the hs_err file.
>
> It is also good that you clean up the print() and print_on()
> structure. But I think you can take it one step further.
>
> In collectedHeap.hpp you now have:
>
> virtual void print() const {
>     print_on(tty);
>   }
>
> But CollectedHeap inherits AllocatedObj (through CHeapObj). And
> AllocatedObj defines print() as:
>
> void AllocatedObj::print() const       { print_on(tty); }
>
> So, I think you can just remove the print() method in CollectedHeap.
> This will also get rid of the shadowing of AllocatedObj::print() by
> CollectedHeap::print(). That looks kind of fishy to me.

I agree. And I'm really not sure why the print methods were introduced
on AllocatedObj. Having said that, I think it's helpful to define:

virtual void print() const {
     print_on(tty);
   }

on CollectedHeap to show explicitly what it does. If I remove it I feel
as if it might confuse the reader who'd never think of looking in the
AllocatedObj class for the print definition (I know I wouldn't....).
Also, if someone does the obvious thing and removes the print methods
from AllocatedObj :-) they'd have to re-introduce it on CollectedHeap.
I'm inclined to leave it in to keep CollectedHeap independent of
AllocatedObj (at least in that respect).

> Also, a nit pick, but the whitespace changes at lines 414 and 417 in
> universe.hpp seem kind of strange to me.

The idea was to get better alignment but I think I added extra
whitespace in line 414 for some reason. Does this look better?

  414   static bool verify_in_progress() { return _verify_in_progress; }
  415   static void verify(bool allow_dirty = true, bool silent = false,
  416                      VerifyOption option = VerifyOption_Default );
  417   static int  verify_count()       { return _verify_count; }

Or you'd prefer:

static bool verify_in_progress() {
   return _verify_in_progress;
}
static void verify(bool allow_dirty = true, bool silent = false,
                    VerifyOption option = VerifyOption_Default );
static int verify_count() {
   return _verify_count;
}

> Finally, just for the record, we have tests that run without setting
> -Xms or -Xmx. If such a test ends up on a large machine we can end up
> with many more than 1000-2000 regions. I have seen ten times as many
> regions.

I could add a max of how many per-region entries we'll write to the
hs_err file and basically skip the rest (by adding an appropriate
warning in the log of course). Having said that, this might make this
output useless given that the entries we'll skip might be the ones that
we'd need. So, I'm inclined not to do that.

> It might be unlikely that customers run without limiting the heap size
> on this large machines, but we will run into hs_err files with 10s of
> thousands of heap regions in our own testing. Personally I think the
> information is useful enough for this to be acceptable.

Agreed.

> One alternative would of course be to log this in a separate hs_err_g1
> file...

I really don't think we need to go there! We'll generate the same amount
of output but now split over two files! And the customers will have to
remember to also keep around and send us the hs_err_g1 files too. :-)

Tony