request for review (M): 4965777 GC changes to support use of discovered field for pending references

Y. S. Ramakrishna y.s.ramakrishna at oracle.com
Tue Sep 6 19:52:10 UTC 2011

[i left the embedded inlines below for the cores-lib folk
who may have missed part of the exchange because of non-membership of
the posters.]

Hi Stefan --

On 09/05/11 10:49, Stefan Karlsson wrote:
> Hi Ramki,
>
> On 09/05/2011 07:29 PM, Ramki Ramakrishna wrote:
>>
>> Hi Stefan --
>>
>> Thanks for your prompt review!
>>
>> On 9/5/2011 5:05 AM, Stefan Karlsson wrote:
>>> Hi Ramki,
>>>
>>> Your changes seems to be based on my changes to remove the
>>> sentinelRef and use a self-looping end in the discovered lists, so my
>>> review is based on that.
>>
>> Yes, that's correct. I should have remembered to mention that in my email
>> to these review aliases.
>>

>>> referenceProcessor.cpp:
>>>
>>> Why do you want to change the variable name to next_d?
>>>   325   oop next_d = refs_list.head();
>>
>> To keep from confusing it with the next field's name. Just a naming
>> convention.
>> (next_d == next discovered object) to keep confusion wrt "next" to a
>> minimum
>> for the unwary reader.
>>

>>> This seems to be incorrect. The discovered list should never end with
>>> NULL, since its self-looping.
>>>   348         java_lang_ref_Reference::set_discovered(obj, old); //
>>> old may be NULL
>>
>> Yes, I considered that, which was one of the reasons I wanted to place
>> my changes
>> on top of yours. However, it turns out that that protocol's only needed
>> for objects that will end up on the discovered lists maintained by GC.
>> Once pended, an object is never eligible to be discovered again
>> (recall the next!=NULL check during reference discovery by GC), so
>> the discovered field need not conform to the "never NULL" protocol
>> necessary for not-yet-pended objects (present on the discovered
>> lists of GC).
>
> OK, I see your point. IMHO it would be prudent to use the same EOL
> marker for the pending list as for the discovered lists and the queued
> references (through the next field), just for consistency. But I'll not
> stress this point.

I understand your concern. I will keep this in mind, as we watch any
bug tail, but at the moment I'm inclined not to change the treatment
of the pending list terminator in the same way as was done for the
discovered list terminator.

thanks again for your review!
-- ramki