RFR(M/L): 6484982: G1: process references during evacuation pauses

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Mon Sep 12 13:22:05 UTC 2011

Hi John,

Stefan and I have been looking at this webrev today. Overall it looks
good! This will be a great improvement for G1.

We have not quite gotten through all the code yet, but I hope that we've
covered most of the important changes.

Here are some comments:

referenceProcessor.cpp
- Not strictly related to your change, but it would be nice to change
the name of _discoveredSoftRefs to _discoveredRefs and introduce a
separate _discoveredSoftRefs. It is quite confusing that
_discoveredSoftRefs is being used for all reference types.

- Why does iter.make_active() need the pre-barrier? We do
iter.make_referent_alive() just after. That will mark and push the
referent object, right?

- ReferenceProcessor::balance_queues() got convoluted by the extra
levels of if statements. A suggestion is to make a  set_discovered
method like this:

   set_discovered(oop ref, oop value) {
     if (_discovered_list_needs_barrier) {
       java_lang_ref_Reference::set_discovered(ref, value);
     } else {
       java_lang_ref_Reference::set_discovered_raw(ref, value);
     }
   }

   and then us it as:

   if (ref_lists[to_idx].head() == NULL) {
     // to list is empty. Make a loop at the end.
     set_discovered(move_tail, move_tail);
   } else {
     set_discovered(move_tail, ref_lists[to_idx].head());
   }

g1CollectedHeap.cpp

- What does this comment mean?
instanceRefKlass::process_discovered_references does not exist.
     // We want to discover references, but not process them yet.
     // This mode is disabled in
     // instanceRefKlass::process_discovered_references if the
     // generation does some collection work, or
     // instanceRefKlass::enqueue_discovered_references if the
     // generation returns without doing any work.

- The setup of the STW reference processor uses an is_alive_closure.
This seems to be correct and efficient, but why do the other full and
STW reference processors in HotSpot skip this?

- Why is it necessary to go through the references found during CM in
G1CollectedHeap::g1_process_strong_roots?
     if
(!_process_strong_tasks->is_task_claimed(G1H_PS_refProcessor_oops_do)) {
       // We need to treat the discovered reference lists of the
       // concurrent mark ref processor as roots and keep entries
       // (which are added by the marking threads) on them live
       // until they can be processed at the end of marking.
       ref_processor_cm()->weak_oops_do(&buf_scan_non_heap_roots);
     }

- The G1_DEBUG define makes the code really difficult to read. Could
this be removed?

- Have not looked in detail at the large new block of code in
g1CollectedHeap.cpp. One question though, would it be possible to
somehow simplify the setup in G1ParTask, G1STWRefProcTaskProxy,
G1ParPreserveCMReferentsTask and process_discovered_references()?

- Did you do any tests with -XX:RefDiscoveryPolicy=1?

Some minor things:

referenceProcessor.hpp
- Would be nice if subclasses_of_ref() could be called something with
"number_of" or similar. That indicates better how it is being used.

thread.cpp
- only bracket changes. Don't include in thins change.

referenceProcessor.cpp
- The code that is commented out in ReferenceProcessor::weak_oops_do()
and ReferenceProcessor::clean_up_discovered_references() could probably
be removed by now.

- You removed inline from void DiscoveredListIterator::remove(), will
that impact performance?

g1CollectedHeap.cpp
- What does "ser" stand for in "stw_rp_disc_ser"?

- Would be nice to move these two lines into enable_discovery(). (May
need a parameter to disable the check for NoRefDiscovery to work properly.)

   assert(!ref_processor_stw()->discovery_enabled(), "Precondition");
   ref_processor_stw()->verify_no_references_recorded();

- Are these asserts really necessary?
   void G1ParScanThreadState::trim_queue() {
     assert(_evac_cl != NULL, "not set");
     assert(_evac_failure_cl != NULL, "not set");
     assert(_partial_scan_cl != NULL, "not set");

- Maybe G1KeepAliveClosure should be called something else. It does not
keep objects alive, it just adjusts the pointer to the forwarded location.

g1CollectedHeap.hpp:
- This comment is a bit confusing:
   //   Will enqueue any non-live discovered references on the
   //    STW ref processor's discovered lists.

  Maybe "Will enqueue any non-live discovered reference that the STW ref
processor discovered.

heapRegion.hpp
- I guess #if WHASSUP should be removed...

Stefan & Bengt