PromotionInfo initialization and reset() are not consistent,

Dang Nhan Nguyen nhann at chalmers.se
Tue Sep 13 13:52:30 UTC 2011

Hi all,

When I look at PromotionInfo class, I saw a small difference in resetting values (_firstIndex and _nextIndex) between the construction and reset():

PromotionInfo() :
    _tracking(0), _space(NULL),
    _promoHead(NULL), _promoTail(NULL),
    _spoolHead(NULL), _spoolTail(NULL),
    _spareSpool(NULL), _firstIndex(1),
    _nextIndex(1) {}

And reset():
void reset() {
    _promoHead = NULL;
    _promoTail = NULL;
    _spoolHead = NULL;
    _spoolTail = NULL;
    _spareSpool = NULL;
    _firstIndex = 0;
    _nextIndex = 0;

  }

My question is that when promotionInfo.reset() is called, then many consistency checks like the below in PromotionInfo will failed:
PromotionInfo.cpp[Line 323] guarantee(_spoolTail != NULL || _nextIndex == 1,
            "Inconsistency between _spoolTail and _nextIndex");

What is the purpose of resetting the _firstIndex and _nextIndex to 0? Or is it a mistake?

Thanks,
--Nhan Nguyen