JEP 158: Unified JVM logging

Staffan Larsen staffan.larsen at oracle.com
Fri Aug 17 20:20:00 UTC 2012

On 15 aug 2012, at 16:19, Dmitry Samersoff <Dmitry.Samersoff at oracle.com> wrote:

> On 2012-08-15 12:44, Kirk Pepperdine wrote:
>
>> The current system of command-line (experimental) options follow a
>> format that is quite consistent. The options provide semantic meaning as
>> to what will be logged. This semantic meaning is lost when we reduce
>> everything to the level of error, warning, info, debug and trace.
>
> I guess Levels are independent to categories. i.e. I think
>
> Log:info,gc,younggen should be possible

The suggestion in the JEP is that each category/component has several levels, so in that sense they are not independent. To enable logging you would specify a list of {component, level} tuples, like:

  gc:info, younggen:trace

But to make it easier to type in the most common case the 'info' level is considered 'default' if nothing else is specified. So the above would be equivalent to saying just

  gc, younggen:trace

Thanks,
/Staffan