Request for review: 8004132 SerialGC ValidateMarkSweep code broken

Tao Mao tao.mao at oracle.com
Tue Dec 4 23:47:53 UTC 2012

8004132 : SerialGC: ValidateMarkSweep broken when running GCOld

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tamao/8004132/webrev.00/

Passed JPRT; I checked ValidateMarkSweep can't be triggered now with the
fix.

Background:

While verifying the functionality of the ValidateMarkSweep code with the
Serial collector (prior to adding code to enable this feature in G1) Tao
and myself saw various crashes and failures when running GC Old.

Script to run GCOld:
#JHOME=/export/jdk8/solaris-x64
#JHOME=/java/re/jdk/6/promoted/latest/binaries/solaris-i586/fastdebug
JHOME=/export/bugs/8001047/jdk7/solaris-x64

$JHOME/bin/java -server -Xms1g -Xmx1g \
         -XX:+UseSerialGC \
         -XX:+ValidateMarkSweep \
         -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps
-XX:+ShowMessageBoxOnError \
                 GCOld 9000 20 5 30 500000

Note the ValidateMarkSweep functionality is only available in
non-product builds.

This seems to have been broken for a long while - we even saw the crash
with jdk6. Thus we suggest to remove the ValidateMarkSweep code.