JEP 173: Remove Rarely-Used Combinations of Garbage Collectors

Peter B. Kessler Peter.B.Kessler at Oracle.COM
Thu Dec 6 00:23:33 UTC 2012

mark.reinhold at oracle.com wrote:

> - Mark

If the only use of SerialOld will be with ParallelScavenge + SerialOld, then maybe we should check what the performance hit (GC time, heap utilization, application throughput) is using ParallelScavenge + ParallelOld, possibly with ParallelOld throttled down to 1 worker thread.  (I understand that we can't remove the code for SerialOld because it backs CMS, but we could improve the user experience by not letting people choose sub-optimal configurations.)  Similarly, if we could start weaning users off of DefNew we might eventually be able to remove the code for it.

It would help the write-up if the *supported* configurations were listed.

			... peter