JEP 173: Remove Rarely-Used Combinations of Garbage Collectors

Azeem Jiva azeem.jiva at oracle.com
Thu Dec 6 22:28:19 UTC 2012

Kirk, and others --
   The other option would be to remove less frequently used collectors
and convert the flags for those removed collectors to modified versions
of existing collectors.  So using iCMS in your commandline would give
you G1 (or whatever) instead, tuned as necessary to mimic iCMS as best
as possible.
   I can see people arguing that it changes how the JVM runs, but there
are many under the cover changes that happen every week (new
optimizations, bugs fixed, etc) and except for people on this list and a
few interested parties nobody is aware of the change.  Same thing would
happen here.
   Just a suggestion from someone that isn't a GC engineer :)

--
Azeem Jiva
@javawithjiva