RFR(S): 7189971: Implement CMSWaitDuration for non-incremental mode of CMS

Michal Frajt michal at frajt.eu
Fri Dec 7 17:48:48 UTC 2012

Hi John/Jon/Ramki,

All proposed recommendations and requested changes have been implemented. We are going to test it on Monday. You will get the new tested patch soon.

The attached code here just got compiled, no test executed yet, it might contain a bug, but you can quickly review it and send your comments.

Best regards
Michal

// Wait until the next synchronous GC, a concurrent full gc request,
// or a timeout, whichever is earlier.
void ConcurrentMarkSweepThread::wait_on_cms_lock_for_scavenge(long t_millis) {
  // Wait time in millis or 0 value representing infinite wait for a scavenge
  assert(t_millis >= 0, "Wait time for scavenge should be 0 or positive");

  GenCollectedHeap* gch = GenCollectedHeap::heap();
  double start_time_secs = os::elapsedTime();
  double end_time_secs = start_time_secs + (t_millis / ((double) MILLIUNITS));

  // Total collections count before waiting loop
  unsigned int before_count;
  {
    MutexLockerEx hl(Heap_lock, Mutex::_no_safepoint_check_flag);
    before_count = gch->total_collections();
  }

  unsigned int loop_count = 0;

  while(!_should_terminate) {
    double now_time = os::elapsedTime();
    long wait_time_millis;

    if(t_millis != 0) {
      // New wait limit
      wait_time_millis = (long) ((end_time_secs - now_time) * MILLIUNITS);
      if(wait_time_millis <= 0) {
        // Wait time is over
        break;
      }
    } else {
      // No wait limit, wait if necessary forever
      wait_time_millis = 0;
    }

    // Wait until the next event or the remaining timeout
    {
      MutexLockerEx x(CGC_lock, Mutex::_no_safepoint_check_flag);

      set_CMS_flag(CMS_cms_wants_token);   // to provoke notifies
      if (_should_terminate || _collector->_full_gc_requested) {
        return;
      }
      assert(t_millis == 0 || wait_time_millis > 0, "Sanity");
      CGC_lock->wait(Mutex::_no_safepoint_check_flag, wait_time_millis);
      clear_CMS_flag(CMS_cms_wants_token);
      assert(!CMS_flag_is_set(CMS_cms_has_token | CMS_cms_wants_token),
             "Should not be set");
    }

    // Extra wait time check before entering the heap lock to get the collection count
    if(t_millis != 0 && os::elapsedTime() >= end_time_secs) {
      // Wait time is over
      break;
    }

    // Total collections count after the event
    unsigned int after_count;
    {
      MutexLockerEx hl(Heap_lock, Mutex::_no_safepoint_check_flag);
      after_count = gch->total_collections();
    }

    if(before_count != after_count) {
      // There was a collection - success
      break;
    }

    // Too many loops warning
    if(++loop_count == 0) {
      warning("wait_on_cms_lock_for_scavenge() has looped %d times", loop_count - 1);
    }
  }
}

void ConcurrentMarkSweepThread::sleepBeforeNextCycle() {
  while (!_should_terminate) {
    if (CMSIncrementalMode) {
      icms_wait();
      if(CMSWaitDuration >= 0) {
        // Wait until the next synchronous GC, a concurrent full gc
        // request or a timeout, whichever is earlier.
        wait_on_cms_lock_for_scavenge(CMSWaitDuration);
      }
      return;
    } else {
      if(CMSWaitDuration >= 0) {
        // Wait until the next synchronous GC, a concurrent full gc
        // request or a timeout, whichever is earlier.
        wait_on_cms_lock_for_scavenge(CMSWaitDuration);
      } else {
        // Wait until any cms_lock event not to call shouldConcurrentCollect permanently
        wait_on_cms_lock(0);
      }
    }
    // Check if we should start a CMS collection cycle
    if (_collector->shouldConcurrentCollect()) {
      return;
    }
    // .. collection criterion not yet met, let's go back
    // and wait some more
  }
}