RFR(S): 7041879: G1: introduce stress testing parameter to cause frequent evacuation failures

John Cuthbertson john.cuthbertson at oracle.com
Thu Jul 19 19:17:21 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,

Can I have couple of volunteers to review the changes for this CR? The
webrev can be found at: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~johnc/7041879/webrev.0/

builds, for forcing evacuation failures. The mechanism is analogous to
the PromotionFailureALot functionality in the other collectors. It is
enabled with the G1EvacuationFailureALot flag and is controlled using
sub-flags: G1EvacuationFailureALotCount and
G1EvacuationFailureALotInterval control the frequency and number of
evacuation failures, and G1EvacuationFailureALotDuringYoungGC,
G1EvacuationFailureALotDuringMixedGC,
G1EvacuationFailureALotDuringInitialMark, and G1EvacuationFailureALot
control during type of GC we should/can trigger evacuation failures.

An earlier variant of this patch was previously employed to stress test
Tony's marking changes.

Testing:
Dacapo/xalan to test the various flags and settings. GC test suite and
jprt with G1EvacuationFailureALot and heap verification enabled (the
sub-flags for G1EvacuationFailureALot were left at their default values).

Thanks,

JohnC