6950794: Make the GC log file name parameterized

Yasumasa Suenaga suenaga.yasumasa at lab.ntt.co.jp
Fri Jul 20 00:58:07 UTC 2012

Hi Rainer,

Do you point the following as "negative consequences" ? :

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-gc-use/2010-May/000613.html
----------------
* "f00.00000001 might have been detected as old and copied to the remote
host and during the same time GC decides to now reuse it...  That's why
I personally find externally organized pruning better. Another thing I
often miss is the ability to combine size and time based rotation." (Rainer)

The proposal never reuses log files. We'll never overwrite anything.
Instead, we'll delete the oldest files as we create new ones. If we tell
the users to prune the older log files themselves, I know what the first
bug filed against the new policy will be. :-) Regarding rotating based
on both size and time: most people care about size so I think that's
what we'll do. If you want more advanced management of the logs you'll
have to set N to infinity (at least we'll need a way to say "never
delete older files") so that HotSpot doesn't delete any files and you'll
be able to copy them and delete them yourself.

But, seriously, this is excellent feedback. You guys are doing more wild
stuff with our logs than I had imagined. :-)
----------------

Tony says "The proposal never reuses log files. We'll never overwrite anything."
However, seems to reuse the oldest log :-)

   hotspot/src/share/vm/utilities/ostream.cpp:
       void rotatingFileStream::rotate_log()

We can find the oldest log with "stat" command and can check mtime of
all logs on Linux.
I think that "mtime" is updated every write(2) syscall .

At least, status of this RFE is "3-Accepted" .
So I believe that this RFE will be merge mainline someday :-)

Thanks,

Yasumasa