Question/Extension proposal: references to off-heap objects and support for multiple heaps

changren changren at taobao.com
Fri Jul 27 01:57:20 UTC 2012

Thank you Kris for the explain,
BTW, Kris and I ever talked with Ramki about the idea and the GCIH implementation and since CMS is not on the rador he suggested to do some modifications on G1 to support static heap subsets and one CR was filed

6660122 G1: support for large, mostly-static heap subsets

GCIH now has been adopted online, the hadoop team in taobao uses GCIH as an efficient way of sharing static Java objects(data dictionary) among JVM processes(Hadoop Map processses) on same physical machine which helps to achieve 10x performance gains.
Regards,
Joseph

the write barrier
于 2012-7-27 0:16, Krystal Mok 写道:
Hi Leo,

Thanks for being interested :-) I think it's time for Joseph to chime in, if he will.
I don't work for Taobao anymore; it's better if someone from the inside to share the details.

I could briefly cover the parts of the VM we touched. We tried a lot of variants, and not all of them are meant to be **safe**.

GCIH as it is only works with ParNew+CMS configuration. We modified all tracing actions that's involved in ParNew and CMS so that during GC it wouldn't trace into objects within GCIH. We also modified the pointer adjusting logic so that it would fix-up object pointers (oops) originated from GCIH that point to moved objects.

Note that we actually only allow such pointers to be metadata pointers pointing into the PermGen; after the PermGen elimination project is done, such pointers wouldn't even exist anymore (but I'm not sure if the PermGen elimination project allows metadata to move; it'd be nice for GCIH if metadata doesn't move).
Otherwise, the object graph in GCIH must be self-contained, i.e. all object pointers originating from GCIH should also point into GCIH. In addition, objects in GCIH don't move. So, no pointer fix-ups other than the metadata pointers are needed.

To enforce the invariant above, write-barriers also need to be modified. Note that this could impact the throughput of normal Java programs, so it'd be preferable if it could be turned off -- but we're talking about trading safety for performance here, so umm...there really isn't a choice.

Regards,
Kris