Request for review (M): 7172279: G1: Clean up TraceGen0Time and TraceGen1Time data gathering

Charlie Hunt chunt at salesforce.com
Wed May 30 12:44:01 UTC 2012

I like it. :-)

charlie ...

On May 30, 2012, at 7:32 AM, Bengt Rutisson wrote:

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for looking at this!

On 2012-05-30 04:41, Charlie Hunt wrote:
Nice cleanup Bengt.

One observation which I found a bit confusing.

In g1CollectorPolicy.cpp, line 2285 - 2287 we have the following code:

_last_gc_was_young = gcs_are_young() ? true : false;

_trace_gen0_time_data.increment_collection_count(!_last_gc_was_young);

The !_last_gc_was_young threw me a bit since we were incrementing the collection count on a "trace gen0".   Has there been consideration of using an enumerated type for a young GC and mixed GC type rather than using a boolean to represent the two?  Or, alternatively introducing a mutator method for incrementing only _young_pause_num and a second mutator method for incrementing _mixed_pause_num ?

Good point. I went with your last suggestion and added separate mutator methods for mixed and young collections. Here is an updated webrev:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/7172279/webrev.02/

I didn't see anything incorrect in the implementation ... just found this bit a little confusing.

Actually there was a mistake in the code too. I had moved the young and mixed counters from G1CollectorPolicy to TraceGen0TimeData. But since I wanted to verify my changes I had left the counters in G1CollectorPolicy and I forgot to remove them before the first webrev. So I removed them now too.

Thanks for drawing my attention to this as well! :-)
Bengt

hths,

charlie ...