ParallelOldGC : Single threaded with one cpu 100% during full gc

Srinivas Ramakrishna ysr1729 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 05:21:14 UTC 2012

CMS might help if you are able to tune it to avoid the full gc pauses
entirely by doing all the
collection work mostly concurrently. With CMS, a few cpu's will be busy for
a while as CMS runs
concurrently with the application in certain phases. If CMS "loses the
race" (or there is excessive
fragmentation), the stop-world full gc will be pretty long and will be
single-threaded.

$ /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0_05/bin/java -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal -version | grep
Compact
     bool CMSCompactWhenClearAllSoftRefs            = true
{product}
    uintx CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction                = 0
{product}
     bool CompactFields                             = true
{product}
    uintx HeapFirstMaximumCompactionCount           = 3
{product}
    uintx HeapMaximumCompactionInterval             = 20
{product}
     intx MarkSweepAlwaysCompactCount               = 4
{product}
     bool UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection             = true
{product}
     bool UseMaximumCompactionOnSystemGC            = true
{product}
java version "1.7.0_05"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.1-b03, mixed mode)

The options we used were HeapFirstMaximumCompactionCount  and
HeapMaximumCompactionInterval, both  set to  very large values.
For our use case, this worked reasonably well, but I have seen cases of
other applications where this isn't effective because
of the demographics of large oop-rich objects (such as large hash maps and
such, for example) as they "churn through" the
old generation rather than sedimenting in the dense prefix. We didn't need
to, and I think you won't need to either, worry
about space lost to deadwood in the dense prefix, because the dense prefix
computation doesn't waste much space. I don't
recall the computation, but John would be able to help.

-- ramki