Parallel GC thread priority

Srinivas Ramakrishna ysr1729 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 16:22:51 UTC 2012

I agree that eliminating paging as a suspect is a good idea. Although the
stats that Dmytro provided below seems to show plenty of free RAM, perhaps
that info was collected at a different time than when the long pause was
observed?

Like Vitaly, I am suspicious of paging in such extreme cases.

What's the version of JVM you are running? (In such cases running with
-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps would have been great as it
just might have provided a couple more clues -- or not.)
(There were some older versions of the JVM where there were issues with
thread suspension that would cause long pauses, but i believe the GC log
symptom of that was somewhat different.)

By the way, since this is a 4 core system, you should be running
-XX:+UseParallelOldGC.

Note, for that reason, that "parallel gc thread" priority is moot for this
case, it's really "(serial) GC thread", since there's a single GC thread
running your full collection below. (Although your minor collections are
indeed run multi-threaded.)

-- ramki