RFR(S): 7200261: G1: Liveness counting inconsistencies during marking verification

John Cuthbertson john.cuthbertson at oracle.com
Mon Sep 24 17:00:55 UTC 2012

Hi Jesper,

Thanks for review. That is a good idea (and we have entertained doing it
in the past) but is does have a slight downside.

We need to set bits for all the cards spanned by a live object -
including the last card if the object doesn't end at a card boundary. If
we made set_card_bitmap_range() exclusive we end up moving the logic to
determine which card index would be the second parameter into the
callers (or a utility routine). The logic in the caller becomes
something like:

HeapWord* end = obj + obj->size();
idx_t end_idx = card_bitmap_index_for(end);
if (!card_aligned(end)) {
// Next object doesn't start on a card boundary.We need to also include
the card in which the current object ends.
end_idx += 1;
}
set_card_bitmap_range(start_idx, end_idx);

versus:

HeapWord* last = obj + obj->size() - 1;
idx_t last_idx = card_bitmap_index_for(last)
set_card_bitmap_range(start_idx, last_idx)

The mapping from the inclusive range to cards to the exclusive range
expected by the bitmap routines is localized in set_card_bitmap_range().

I don't think either is really better than the other.

JohnC