TLAB and NUMA aware allocator

Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 23:09:09 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

If I understand it correctly, the NUMA allocator splits eden into regions
and tries to ensure that an allocated object is in a region local to the
mutator thread.  How does this affect tlabs? Specifically, a tlab will be
handed out to a thread from the current node.  If the java thread then
migrates to a different node, its tlab is presumably still on the previous
node, leading to cross-node traffic? Is there a notion of a processor local
tlab? In that case, access to already allocated objects will take a hit but
new allocations will not.

The way I imagine a processor local tlab working is when a thread migrates,
the previous tlab becomes available for whichever java thread is onproc
there now - that is, tlab ownership changes.  The migrated thread then
picks up allocations in the new tlab.

It can still be a bump the pointer since only one hardware thread can be
running at a time on the processor.

Is this or something like it already there? If not, what challenges am I
overlooking from my high-level view?

Thanks

Sent from my phone