Request for review - 8013032 - CMS: assert(used() == used_after_gc && used_after_gc <= capacity()) failed

Thomas Schatzl thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Fri Apr 26 12:26:54 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Thu, 2013-04-25 at 10:43 -0700, Jon Masamitsu wrote:
> CMS: assert(used() == used_after_gc && used_after_gc <= capacity())
> failed: used: 0 used_after_gc: 292080 capacity: 1431699456
>
> The assertion was incorrect so I deleted it.  The assumption that the
> metrics being tested should not be affected by the reset_after_compaction()
> was incorrect.
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jmasa/8013032/webrev.00/

In the comment maybe add an explicit note that because of that we cannot
verify heap sizes yet. I.e. something along "So we cannot verify heap
sizes yet".

When reading this comment I asked myselves what the particular reason
for that comment at that point is. I mean, during recomputation of heap
sizes there're often windows where there are inconsistencies between
data. So the comment tells me facts, but not the actual warning what
(not) to do at this point (imho).

But to me this is a minor issue, you may keep the message (or remove the
message altogether).