About the location of data structure and its inner objects

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Wed Aug 28 17:47:43 UTC 2013

On 8/28/2013 1:42 AM, Krystal Mok wrote:
> Hi Lijie,
>
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Lijie Xu <csxulijie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank Tao, I think I have a graph of memory layout now. I have another
>> five questions:
>>
>> 1) Can old space's max size be adjusted dynamically by GC while the JVM is
>> running?
>>
>> Yes if you're using UseParallelGC / UseParallelOldGC and
> UseAdaptiveSizePolicy is on (it is on by default). Other GCs in HotSpot
> don't implement adaptive size policy yet.

The maximum size of the heap is fixed at VM initialization.  By default
the maximum size of the
old generation is also fixed at initialization.  The exceptions are with
UseParallelGC and UseG1GC.

With UseParallelGC the GC will move space between the young generation
and the old
generation if UseAdaptiveGCBoundary is turned on.  This does not
increase the maximum
size of the heap.  There are limits to this movement (i.e., there is a
minimum size of the
young generation and a minimum size of the old generation that has to be
observed).

With UseG1GC the young generation is a logical collection of regions and
the collection
changes dynamically.  Again the maximum size of the heap does not
increase and there
are limits on the minimum size of the young generation.

>> 2) I want to know if FullGC will definitely trigger MinorGC, or just
>> reclaim the unreferenced objects in Old/Eden/S0/S1 without object promotion.
>>
>> A "full GC" in HotSpot terms collects the whole GC heap, not just the old
> generation. It doesn't have to do a separate minor GC before a full GC to
> collect the young generation.
> A case for UseParallelGC / UseParallelOldGC is that it defaults to scavenge
> (do a minor GC) right before a full GC. This behavior can be turned off
> with -XX:-ScavengeBeforeFullGC

The exception to a "full GC collects the whole heap" is CMS.  A CMS
mark-sweep  (and a
concurrent collection is a mark-sweep collection) only collect the old
generation.

Jon