Request for review (M): 8002144: G1: large number of evacuation failures may lead to large c heap memory usage

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Tue Feb 5 15:57:47 UTC 2013

Hi John,

Thanks for looking at this!

On 2/4/13 10:18 PM, John Coomes wrote:
> Bengt Rutisson (bengt.rutisson at oracle.com) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Could I have a couple of reviews for this change?
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/8002144/webrev.00/
>>
>> For the evacuation failure handling in G1 we need to store the mark word for
>> objects that we self-forward. We store these mark words in two GrowableArrays.
>> The problem is that if we have a lot of objects that need to be self-forwarded
>> we will add a lot of entries to the GrowableArrays. These arrays will double in
>> size when they get full. Worst case these arrays can require more consecutive
>> free memory than is available in the OS malloc heap.
>>
>> I have a test (ManyObjects) that runs out of native memory on Windows 32 bit
>> platforms because of this issue. We want to double from 10MB to 20MB when we
>> hit native out of memory.
>>
>> My fix for this will reduce the risk for native out of memory. Instead of
>> doubling the size I introduce a chunked data structure that will only malloc
>> one new chunk when it gets full. This requires less consecutive memory. It also
>> has the nice side effect that we don't have to copy the entries when we need
>> more memory.
> It doesn't appear that G1 needs to process these in FIFO order.  If
> not and LIFO order is ok, you can use the existing Stack<> template
> which is a chunked stack with chunks a page in size (by default).  The
> other collectors use this, e.g.,
>
>    Stack<markOop, mtGC>       PSScavenge::_preserved_mark_stack;
>    Stack<oop, mtGC>           PSScavenge::_preserved_oop_stack;
>
> It would be nice to avoid a new data structure if a Stack will do.
>
> If FIFO order really is needed, consider adding a more generic data
> structure (e.g., ChunkedQueue<T>) and making G1PreserveMarkQueue a
> typedef or simple wrapper.

I agree that FIFO order is probably not needed. The reason I preserved
the FIFO order was mostly to reduce the risk of introducing regressions.
So, I think using the Stack data structure should be fine. I'll change
my patch to do that instead and try it out. Thanks for pointing me to
the Stack!

I've been at JFokus all day today and I'll be there tomorrow as well.
I'll send out an updated webrev as soon as I get a chance to try it out.

Any idea why G1 used the GrowableArray in the first place when the other
GCs use Stack?

Thanks,
Bengt