Request for review: 8007764: Wrong initialized value of max_gc_pause_sec for an instance of class AdaptiveSizePolicy

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Sun Feb 10 21:34:48 UTC 2013

Hi Tao,

Thanks for your answers. Some comments inline.

On 2/9/13 12:44 AM, Tao Mao wrote:
> I'm trying to answer these questions. Please see inline. Thanks.
> Tao
>
> On 2/8/13 8:17 AM, Bengt Rutisson wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tao,
>>
>> I think the change looks good and makes sense.
>>
>> But I have a hard time estimating the implications of this change.
>>
>> It seems like MaxGCMinorPauseMillis is only used by CMS and
>> ParallelScavenge.
> You are right. Before the fix, four occurrences below. (The one in
> collectorPolicy.cpp is suspected to be wrong)
>
> MaxGCMinorPauseMillis is introduced in different kinds of classes for
> CMS and PS: ConcurrentMarkSweep*Policy* and ParalleScavenge*Heap*.
>
> $ grep -nr "MaxGCMinorPauseMillis"
> src/src/share/vm/gc_implementation/concurrentMarkSweep/cmsCollectorPolicy.cpp:87:
> double max_gc_minor_pause_sec = ((double) MaxGCMinorPauseMillis)/1000.0;
> src/share/vm/gc_implementation/parallelScavenge/parallelScavengeHeap.cpp:156:
> double max_gc_minor_pause_sec = ((double) MaxGCMinorPauseMillis)/1000.0;
> src/share/vm/memory/collectorPolicy.cpp:170:  const double
> max_gc_minor_pause_sec = ((double) MaxGCMinorPauseMillis)/1000.0;
> src/share/vm/runtime/globals.hpp:2043:  product(uintx,
> MaxGCMinorPauseMillis, max_uintx,                          \
>> For both of those the default for MaxGCMinorPauseMillis is the same
>> as MaxGCPauseMillis so it should be fine.
> How did you infer that the default value for MaxGCMinorPauseMillis is
> same as MaxGCPauseMillis? I didn't see such an indication in the code.

I actually ran with both collectors using -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal and
looked at the values printed. But you find it in the code too. Both
flags are declared in globals.hpp as having max_uintx as default value:

   product(uintx, MaxGCPauseMillis,
max_uintx,                               \
           "Adaptive size policy maximum GC pause time goal in msec,
"       \
           "or (G1 Only) the max. GC time per MMU time
slice")               \

product(uintx, MaxGCMinorPauseMillis, max_uintx,                          \
           "Adaptive size policy maximum GC minor pause time goal in
msec")  \

>> But what happens if a customer is running with
>> -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=1000 but not setting MaxGCPauseMillis on
>> the command line? What are the implications of your change for such
>> runs? I don't think it is very common. Just thinking.
> For ParallelScavenge, customers should distinguish the two flags.

Yes, they should, but my point was that if a customer was just setting
one of the flags their application might behave differently now. And I
was trying to understand in what way it would behave different. But I
actually think that your change will not affect ParallelScavenge anyway.
See below.

> For CMS, I wonder whether we have fully implemented adaptive sizing
> policy. Jon, can you comment on this?
> In either case, customers should be able to tell apart.

You are correct. Implementing adaptive sizing was never completed for
CMS so, it is turned off. Let's ignore CMS for now.

>> Also, a more common case is probably to run with only
>> -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis set on the command line. How will the adaptive
>> sizing behave differently compared to before?
> The fix only changed the value in the routine
> GenCollectorPolicy::initialize_size_policy, which is believed to be
> called within
> the routine of GenCollectedHeap::post_initialize(). I'm not sure
> whether this routine can change sizing behaviors somewhere.

post_initialize() is called from universe_post_init() for all
collectors. But only the CollectedHeaps that inherit from
GenCollectedHeap will be affected by your change.

ParallelScavengeHeap does not inherit from GenCollectedHeap and it
implements its own post_initialize(), so I think it is unaffected by
your change.

So, that's why I came to the conclusion that the code that your are
changing is actually not being used by anyone. If this is correct I
think your change is safe and for the better. But I also think that we
could possibly clean up the code and get rid of some code paths. This
should probably be done as a separate change though.

Bengt