RFR(XS): 8001425: G1: Change the default values for certain G1 specific flags

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Thu Jan 10 10:07:20 UTC 2013

Hi John,

Changes look good.

One question about G1NewSizePercent and G1MaxNewSizePercent. Why are
these only changed for heap sizes below 4GB? I would think that at least
the reduction of G1NewSizePercent would be even more important for
larger heap sizes. If we want to get lower pause times on larger heaps
we need to be able to have a small young gen size.

Also, your change in arguments.cpp is guarded by #ifndef SERIALGC. This
is correct of course, but Joe Provino has a change out that will replace
this kind of check with #if INCLUDE_ALL_GCS:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jprovino/8005915/webrev.00

Neither you nor Joe will get any merge conflicts if your changes are
both pushed. It will even still compile. But the code inside #ifndef
SERIALGC will never be executed. So, it might be good to keep any eye
out for how Joe's change propagate through the repositories to make sure
that you can manually resolve this.

My guess is that Joe's change will have to wait a while since it
includes make file changes that potentially interfere with changes for
the new build system. So, hopefully you get to push this first :)

Bengt