RFR(M/L): 7176479: G1: JVM crashes on T5-8 system with 1.5 TB heap

John Cuthbertson john.cuthbertson at oracle.com
Thu Jan 24 00:36:53 UTC 2013

Hi Vitalty,

> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for this explanation as well.  I see what you're saying about
> the concurrency control, but what I don't understand is when this is
> called:
>
> void reset_hot_cache() {
> 107     _hot_cache_idx = 0; _n_hot = 0;
> 108   }
>
> Since these are plain stores, what exactly ensures that they're
> (promptly) visible to other GC threads? Is there some dependency here,
> e.g. if you see _n_hot = 0 then _hot_cache_idx must also be zero? I
> strongly suspect I missed the details in your response that explain
> why this isn't a concern.  Is there only a particular type of thread
> that can call reset_hot_cache and/or only at a certain point? It kind
> of sounds like it so don't know if there's an assert that can be added
> to verify that.

At the point where this routine is called the GC workers have finished
the parallel phases of the GC and are idle. The thread that is running
is the VM thread. The rest of the VM is at a safepoint so we are, in
effect, single threaded. Yes there is an assert we can add here:

assert(SafepointSynchronize::is_at_safepoint() &&
Thread::current()->is_VM_thread(), "...");

JohnC