RFR (S): 8004172: Update jstat counter names to reflect metaspace changes

Stefan Karlsson stefan.karlsson at oracle.com
Wed Jan 30 09:56:51 UTC 2013

On 28 jan 2013, at 16:14, Erik Helin <erik.helin at oracle.com> wrote:

> Jon,
>
> thanks for your review!
>
> On 01/24/2013 07:57 PM, Jon Masamitsu wrote:
>> I looked at the hotspot changes and they look correct.  But I'm
>> not sure that "sun.gc" should be in the name of the counter.  Maybe
>> use SUN_RT instead of SUN_GC.
>
> I've updated the code to use the SUN_RT namespace instead of the SUN_GC namespace. This also required changes to the JDK code.
>
> I've also added better error handling if a Java Out Of Memory exceptions occur is raised in PerfDataManager::create_variable.
>
> Finally, I've moved some common code to the function create_ms_variable.
>
> Webrev:
> - hotspot: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ehelin/8004172/hotspot/webrev.01/

Would you mind using two indentation levels here:
+MetaspaceCounters::MetaspaceCounters() :
+  _capacity(NULL),
+  _used(NULL),
+  _max_capacity(NULL) {

I think it would be good to also extract this:
  68     const char *counter_name = PerfDataManager::counter_name(ms, "minCapacity");
  69     PerfDataManager::create_constant(SUN_RT, counter_name, PerfData::U_Bytes,

into a create_ms_constant, just like you did with create_ms_variable.

You should probably use CHECK instead of THREAD.
+    _max_capacity = create_ms_variable(ms, "maxCapacity", max_capacity, THREAD);
+    _capacity = create_ms_variable(ms, "capacity", curr_capacity, THREAD);
+    _used = create_ms_variable(ms, "used", used, THREAD);

I think it would be enough to assert that the variables are not NULL.
 void MetaspaceCounters::update_capacity() {
   assert(UsePerfData, "Should not be called unless being used");
   size_t capacity_in_bytes = MetaspaceAux::capacity_in_bytes();
+  if (_capacity != NULL) {

thanks,
StefanK