RFR: 7164841: Improvements to the GC log file rotation

Yumin Qi yumin.qi at oracle.com
Sun Sep 8 05:41:55 UTC 2013

On 9/6/2013 3:27 AM, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> - the change does the file name replacement for *all* file streams
> ever created by the VM. This seems unexpected, and is not documented
> at all in the ostream.hpp file. I would prefer if it would only be
> done for the logging file. I.e. it is probably best to subclass
> fileStream with a gclogfilestream or whatever and use that for the log
> file. But maybe that has already been discussed - I haven't found
> anything about that though? - could you update the CR with the changed
> requirements? I.e. the introduction of the %p/%t etc and other
> limitations? Thanks, Thomas

I think you are right, when flags LogVMOuput or LogCompilation turned on
with flag -XX:LogFile=<file>
It will create file with fileStream. In xmlStream, it will log
information about vm version, command line etc. Then, in fileStream I
added those when it is created. So keep fileStream as it is is better
choice.

Thanks for the catch, I will add a stream called gclogFileStream from
fileStream to implement current logging and rotating --- that is,
rotatingFileStream will be renamed, if no rotation, it works like normal
log file.

Thanks
Yumin