RFR: 7164841: Improvements to the GC log file rotation

Yumin Qi yumin.qi at oracle.com
Mon Sep 9 19:11:24 UTC 2013

Hi, Thomas and all

   This is a new version,
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~minqi/7164841/webrev04/
<http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Eminqi/7164841/webrev04/>

   There is an existing method, make_log_name which converts %p to
<1234>, so I decided to modify it to include converting %t to
YYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM-SS. The function extend_file_name is not needed then.
The name limitation is only for file name not path, in case user has
special characters used in their path name.

   rotatingFileStream is renamed to gcLogFileStream, and handle both
logging (normal) and rotating work.

   A problem observed when user gives an wrong path, say,
-Xloggc:/temp/temp/test.log, /temp/temp does not exist, in this case, I
only give a warning and not exit from VM, should app exit VM in such
case? After warning, app still can run but no log.

   Thanks
   Yumin