Request for review: JDK-8009561 NPG: Metaspace fragmentation when retiring a Metachunk

Stefan Karlsson stefan.karlsson at oracle.com
Tue Sep 10 12:03:04 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 10:25 AM, Mikael Gerdin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can I have a second review for this change?
>
> The latest webrev is at:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mgerdin/8009561/webrev.3/

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mgerdin/8009561/webrev.3/src/share/vm/memory/metaspace.cpp.frames.html

This should be using >= instead of >:

2330 void SpaceManager::retire_current_chunk() {
2331   if (current_chunk() != NULL) {
2332     size_t remaining_words = current_chunk()->free_word_size();
2333     if (remaining_words > TreeChunk<Metablock, FreeList>::min_size()) {
2334       block_freelists()->return_block(current_chunk()->allocate(remaining_words), remaining_words);
2335       inc_used_metrics(remaining_words);
2336     }
2337   }
2338 }

otherwise this looks good to me.

If you're going to edit this patch, maybe you could split this line into
two and capitalize the start of the sentence?

  228   // only allocate and split from freelist if the size of the allocation is at least 1/4th the size of the available block
  229   const static int WasteMultiplier = 4;

thanks,
StefanK