RFR: 7164841: Improvements to the GC log file rotation

Lois Foltan lois.foltan at oracle.com
Tue Sep 10 21:22:21 UTC 2013

On 9/10/2013 5:03 PM, Yumin Qi wrote:
> Thanks review again.
>
> On 9/10/2013 1:27 PM, Lois Foltan wrote:
>> Hi Yumin,
>>
>> arguments.cpp - looks good, no comments
>> ostream.hpp - looks good, no comments
>>
>> ostream.cpp -
>>
>>  - line #428 comment, word "contain" should be "contains"
>>  - line #443 comment, word "contain" should be "contains"
> Done the change.
>>  - Did my earlier comment concerning the following issue get fixed?
>>             - In rotatingFileStream::rotate_log(), I still have
>> questions about the error situation where the next file
>>               in the rotation can not be opened.  The current file
>> was closed at line #619, UseGCLogFileRotation is
>>               turned off at line #675, so how will the current file
>> be reopened to accommodate for the next write in
>>               rotatingFileStream::write()?
>>
> When _file = fopen(...) failed, the rotation will be turned off, so
> any writing to the file will cause error.  But that will not happen:
>
> 0) When rotate_log called, it checks if the file is maximized, if not
> return; if maximized do
> 1) closed this file.   The file name is filename.i.current
> 2) check if filename.i exists, if it exists, delete it.
> 3)  a) if delete failed, the filename will remain as
> filename.i.current, since we have no way to delete filename.i, rename
> filename.i.current to it will fail too, so the decision is no
> renaming. (next, when this file name encountered, it will be override
> since open will open same name,)
>       b) if delete OK, the file is renamed as filename.i
> 4) next file name formed, filename.i+1.current
> 5) open this file.
>      a) if open OK, writing header information to it. Then try to
> delete filename.i+1 if it exists.
>          a1) deleting could fail, so just gives warning, cannot delete
> this file. This does not affect opened file (filename.i+1.current)
> operation. so the writing goes on til at safepoint  we come to  0) again.
>          a2) delete OK  and go on til at safepoint we come to 0) again.
>      b) if open failed.
>           The log rotation turned off, not only log rotation turned
> off, since the file is not opened, any writing to the file will fail,
> but we have preventing code in write() that only _file is not NULL we
> make the writing. (update_position under such case does no make sense,
> but OK since no harm), this is piece of it:
>
> void gcLogFileStream::write(const char* s, size_t len) {
>   if (_file != NULL) {
>     size_t count = fwrite(s, 1, len, _file);
>     _bytes_written += count;
>   }
>   update_position(s, len);
> }
Hi Yumin,
Good outline, thank you for the detailed explanation.  I think where I
differ on this is at point 5b.  Technically if the next file fails to
open, gc log rotation could be turned off but the output of the -Xloggc
information could continue being output into the current file,
filename.i.current.  This would involve delaying the closure of
file.i.current in step 1 until it is determined if the next file in the
rotation can be opened successfully.  If it can be opened, then at that
point filename.i.current can be closed and renamed to filename.i.
However, I don't have a strong preference about this since obviously
something is already awry if the next file in the rotation can't be
opened.  So either behavior is reasonable.
Thanks,
Lois