RFR: 8024671: G1 generates assert error messages in product builds

Thomas Schatzl thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Thu Sep 12 12:30:12 UTC 2013

Hi,

 thanks for finding and fixing this. Also for catching the typo.

On Thu, 2013-09-12 at 15:59 +0400, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please review and push this simple change:
>   http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~shade/8024671/webrev.00/
>
> TL;DR: err_msg() is not getting erased in product builds, because
> check_card_num is not a macro, causing the performance regression. Turns
> out it is simpler to inline the check_card_num all along, because it is
> more consistent to other asserts.

I really do not like the inlining of the check_card_num() method,
replicating the code. I would prefer an approach that avoids that.

I.e. one could make check_card_num() returning a bool that contains the
range check and is used within the asserts as easily.

However if the others do not object, I can live with it.