GC log formats

Kirk Pepperdine kirk at kodewerk.com
Sun Sep 22 14:10:56 UTC 2013

Hi,

Someone has introduced changes in the GC log formats in 1.7.0_40. Aside from the dropped "s" on "secs" in some records, the completely missing "secs" on others, we now have a change in the appearance or disappearance of while spaces in the logs.

36.619: [GC 36.619: [ParNew

is now

247.165: [GC247.165: [ParNew

Arbitrary changes like this one break tools that are out in the ecosystem. In the last short period of time I've lost the ability to use a number of free but closed source tools because of changes in log formats.

My question is; are there any tests being run for this type of output so that these seemingly inconsequential formatting changes can be caught?

And, can I have my space back please? (and an 's' after sec would be nice also ;-)).

Regards,
Kirk Pepperdine