RFR: 8048269: Add flag to turn off class unloading after G1 concurrent mark

Stefan Karlsson stefan.karlsson at oracle.com
Fri Jul 11 05:44:00 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-11 01:11, Jon Masamitsu wrote:
> Could we use a more GC generic name for the flag such as
> GCClassUnloadingEnabled instead of a G1 specific name and
> at some point move CMS to use the GC generic name?

Yes, me and Bengt was talking about that, but IMHO we couldn't come up
with a flag with a reasonably short and to-the-point flag name. I don't
like the GCClassUnloadingEnabled since it could be mistaken to mean turn
of class unloading entirely, which isn't what the flag is supposed to do.

Some of the names we thought about:
   -XX:+UseConcurrentClassUnloading
     This sounds we're doing the class unloading concurrently, which
isn't the case.

   -XX:+UseConcMarkClassUnloading

   -XX:+UseClassUnloadingAfterConcMark

   -XX:+ClassUnloadingAfterConcMark