RFR: 8048269: Add flag to turn off class unloading after G1 concurrent mark

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Fri Jul 11 07:52:43 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-11 07:44, Stefan Karlsson wrote:
> On 2014-07-11 01:11, Jon Masamitsu wrote:
>> Could we use a more GC generic name for the flag such as
>> GCClassUnloadingEnabled instead of a G1 specific name and
>> at some point move CMS to use the GC generic name?
>
> Yes, me and Bengt was talking about that, but IMHO we couldn't come up
> with a flag with a reasonably short and to-the-point flag name. I
> don't like the GCClassUnloadingEnabled since it could be mistaken to
> mean turn of class unloading entirely, which isn't what the flag is
> supposed to do.
>
> Some of the names we thought about:
>   -XX:+UseConcurrentClassUnloading
>     This sounds we're doing the class unloading concurrently, which
> isn't the case.
>
>   -XX:+UseConcMarkClassUnloading
>
>   -XX:+UseClassUnloadingAfterConcMark
>
>   -XX:+ClassUnloadingAfterConcMark
>
> Any more suggestions?

Talked some more to Stefan about this.

The suggestion he made to call it -XX:+ClassUnloadingAfterConcMark is
based on that the high level flag to control all class unloading is
called -XX:+ClassUnloading. So, this name is kind of a specialization of
the overall flag. I kind of like that (even if I think the overall flag
should have been called .XX:+UseClassUnloading). However, ConcMark
sounds very CMS-like for me. I think my preferred flag name for the
moment is:

-XX:+ClassUnloadingAfterConcurrentMark

If we introduce a common flag for CMS and G1 I would suggest to
deprecate CMSClassUnloadingEnable in JDK9 and have it only be an alias
for the new flag. And then remove CMSClassUnloadingEnable in JDK10.

Thanks,
Bengt