RFR (M): JDK-8043239: G1: Missing post barrier in processing of j.l.ref.Reference objects

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Tue Jun 3 08:37:47 UTC 2014

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the review!

On 2014-06-03 00:25, Jon Masamitsu wrote:
> Bengt,
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/8043239/webrev.00/src/share/vm/memory/referenceProcessor.cpp.frames.html
>

> The change to always use "set_next_raw()" here
>
>  520     java_lang_ref_Reference::set_next_raw(_ref, NULL);
>  521   } else {
>  522     java_lang_ref_Reference::set_next(_ref, NULL);
>  523   }
>
> was always the correct thing to use?  Does not have to do with
> extra / unneeded write barrier?

Right. Since we are writing NULL we don't need a post barrier and for G1
it is important to avoid the post barrier because it will dirty cards in
a way that will make the card table verification to fail.

> Looks good.
>
> Reviewed.

Thanks!

I will push this change, but Thomas suggested to move one of the
comments that I added to be more visible.

Here's what he suggested:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/8043239/webrev.00-01.diff/

Since it is only a comment change I will go ahead and push this. Would
be nice to get nightly testing as soon as possible to be able to
backport to 8u20. I hope that is ok with you.

Here is the full webrev of what I will push:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/8043239/webrev.01/

Thanks,
Bengt